|Revolutionary war interesting facts|
* U.S. troops engaged: 217,000 American battle deaths: 4,435.
* The first official shot of the war was at the battle of Lexington and Concord on April 19, 1775.
* The Treaty of Paris was signed in 1783 which means Britain finally realized America was its own independent country.
* 20% of Americans were loyal to the British.
* One of the smartest moves Washington ever made was having his troops inoculated from smallpox.
* The famous victory when George Washington crossing the Delaware river was far from a turning point in the war it was 1776 when he attacked the war ended in 1783.
*The Hessian armies from Germany lost about 40% of their ranks (out of 30,000) to America in various forms. Some died in action, most died of illness, but about 5,000 actually settled in the new United States. The number of direct descendants from Hessians is unknown.