Through a grant from Henningsen Construction to the Atlantic Community Schools Foundation, a part time coordinator has been hired to coordinate the STW program. In addition, Atlantic Community Schools contribute to the budget to help with operating expenses.
"Mission, Vision, Goals, & Format"
The mission of the Atlantic STW Committee is to promote communication between the Atlantic business community and the Atlantic Community Schools for the purpose of helping prepare students for a constructive work life.
The Atlantic STW Committee will serve local businesses and the Atlantic Community School District (ACSD) by helping facilitate a smooth transition from school to either employment or further education for all students, supporting local businesses in finding qualified future employees by including work- and career-related perspectives in K-12 curriculum, and assisting the school district in its comprehensive improvement plan.
1. Share with ACSD the cost of a part-time paid coordinator to oversee the connection.
2. Appoint student links who will check in monthly with each building in the school district to promote STW activities, and to share those activities with the committee.
3. Appoint a committee member to chair the committee meetings.
4. Link business persons with school administration, teachers, and students in both an advisory and an inquiry role, sharing needs and offering support in determining short-term and long-term goals of career training in the Atlantic schools.
5. Suggest and provide opportunities for students and teachers to gain exposure to real-life business experiences and demonstrate real-life applications for academic work.
6. Assist in career and workplace training, programs, and events like portfolios, interviews, job shadowing, and career fairs.
The Committee, composed of interested business persons and school personnel including students, will meet monthly August-April in an open forum to discuss, examine, and accomplish the mission, vision, and goals of the group.